Next week will be filled with many opportunities to give thanks for the blessings we experience as music educators each and every day. Years ago, as a way of giving back to my colleagues.
I created an activity that allowed my students to say thank you to those people who had helped to make the marching band season such a success. This quick and easy writing activity not only helps to create a sense of gratitude among your students, but establish good will among your school colleagues. Honestly, the first time I did it, I was shocked at how much the faculty appreciated this small gesture of kindness.
I am attaching a copy of the assignment to this blog. All you have to do is print, hand out to your students, and deliver to your colleagues. Keep in mind the following things:
- give the kids time in class to do it
- remind them that the more they give, the more they get
- encourage them to write more than one note
- I have included a single and split sheet version
- it is in MS word, so feel free to customize or alter
- tell them it has to go to someone on campus
- give yourself a day to sort and deliver (due this no later than Monday of next week)
When I first did this, I had NO IDEA the impact it would have, but I literally would see teachers tear up as they read the notes.
Be sure to share your results with me so I can live vicariously through you.
That is all for now. Have a great week